UNIVERSITY OF JAMESTOWN HAROLD NEWMAN ARENA
The University of Jamestown competes in 14 sports with half of its students participating in at least one sport. The University needed a new facility that would benefit its sports programs and be used by the community as an event center. Led by the Newman family’s donation to honor their father’s legacy, construction on a new $15 million arena began.
The new facility is home to the University of Jamestown men’s and women’s basketball teams and the women’s volleyball team. The arena features a full-sized basketball and volleyball court with retractable bleachers on both sides of the court to allow for more gym floor space and the option of either two basketball courts or three volleyball courts. This flexibility makes the building ideal for sports camps and intramural sports. The arena features seating for 2,000, eight locker rooms, a large laundry room for the athletic program, two concessions areas, training rooms, storage space, and a retail store. The arena also includes a community room for the University of Jamestown boosters and small group meetings. This room features a sliding divider wall that can open to the adjacent banquet room and create more space for larger events if needed.
One of the most unique features of the building is the Victory Tower. The Victory Tower is a bell tower that is symbolically rung after every Jimmie win in the Harold Newman Arena. The bell is used to attract current students to attend games and has created a new tradition for the University of Jamestown to rally around.
The project also included renovations to the existing football and soccer locker rooms and a new athletic training room that features two hydrotherapy pools.
• 61,000 s.f.
• Arena seating for 2,000
• Flexible lobby space that can be converted into a larger foyer area for events of up to 350 people
• Two concession areas
• Full-sized basketball court/volleyball court with retractable bleachers to allow for two basketball courts or three volleyball courts for camps or large practices
• Private booster room overlooking court with a sliding divider wall that can open to the lobby area
• Eight locker rooms
• Iconic Victory Bell Tower that is rung after every win
• Renovated training facility with cold or hot whirlpool, and two hydrotherapy pools
• Locker rooms for officials and basketball, volleyball, soccer, and football teams
• The University of Jamestown Athletics Hall of Fame